The original Mart that was held at an Auction Mart near Thirsk Market Place was run by Freemans Auctioneers. In 1906 they were approached by a co-operative of Thirsk local farmers to buy them out which they declined.
Thirsk Farmers then set up a limited company in the name of Thirsk Farmers Auction Mart on 25 January 1907. This comprised of 19 directors including local farmers, a bank manager and a JP. The floatation of the Company was £2500 which consisted of 2500 £1 shares.
The original auctioneer was Mr Seth Kirby, Grandfather to our present Company Secretary. First Chairman was Mr Henry Robson of Catton, Thirsk and first Company Secretary was Stephen Kirby
A purpose built mart was built on Station Road, leased from the Turton family and later purchased in 1920 This was a top of the range Market with 2 rings (most marts only had 1 ring).
In 1965 the directors stopped trading and leased out the market to auctioneers Seth Kirby & Sons .In 1972 the Board of Directors took back the running of the Company. Turnover at that time was about 80 cattle, 250 sheep & 100 pigs per week. Massive improvements to the facilities began and continued over the next 20 years as throughput continued to increase, reaching peaks of over 1000 fat cattle, 7000 sheep & over 3000 pigs. More land was then purchased for expansion.
Sales of store stock were introduced from 1972 & latterly sales of Furniture, Fur Feather & Machinery which have now become regular features with Fortnighly sales of Furniture & Collectables and Monthly sales of Fur Feather & Machinery.
Thirsk Farmers Auction Mart Co Ltd has just celebrated its centenary after moving from its original site at Station Road, Thirsk to the new purpose built Thirsk Rural Business Centre.
Thirsk Rural Business Centre was completed in summer 2006. The mart is situated on a 20 acre site on the outskirts of Thirsk. The location of the Centre is one of our main competitive advantages as we are just off the A19 and the A168 which is a feeder road to the A1. There is enough parking at the new Centre for hundreds of vehicles and the main complex is easily accessible for any wheelchair or disabled person.
The Centre was proposed not only as a new home for the auction mart but as a centre point for rural businesses and education establishments. The Centre does not have to rely solely on the income from animal marts, as the mart has diversified heavily into non agricultural events such as Furniture & Antique Sales, Fur & Feather and Collective Sales, Farmers Markets, Car Boot Sales as well as receiving an income from a number of business and retail units.
The Centre has also a purpose built cafe and bar facility.
The Centre is also supported by a number of local organisations and charities who hold regular weekly and monthly meetings throughout the main auction mart complex.
Our first sale took place in the new Auction Mart Complex on Thursday 31st August 2006. The Auction was our weekly prime stock sale. The cattle and sheep rings were packed to capacity, to see the first animals sold through the new facility.
We now also hold sales of Pedigree stock and just recently introduced a Garden Sale.